So I decided to make a separate SF Vacation entry just on FOOD. Every time I go on vacation, it's the food that always makes its way into my wallet and then my hips. Nevertheless, it's all worth it considering the fact that I'd rather spend my money on food (and albums) then anything else anyway and that I can always go back to the gym and work out the quazillion acquired calories. The cuisine in San Francisco is unexplainable. It holds a sense of uniqueness as compared to other places I've visited. SF is so eclectic and yet filled with so many rich and traditional cultures. The food is not just fusions of cultures and ethnic groups like in Hawaii. It's also fusions of flavors, ingredients, textures, and even the most minute things like spices.
As soon I landed, I had
Toyose's kim chee fried rice waiting for me. I was reunited with the bf, the fam, the friends, and the fried rice. I couldn't be any happier.

Outdoor lunch at our fam's place in San Leandro. 3 words: home cooked meal. 'Nuff said.


The Front Porch. The most eclectic restaurant I've been to so far. For appetizers, we ate Fried Green Tomatoes with shrimp remoulade on an okra salsa. Talk about unique! It was heavenly!

For my main dish, I had their famous "Momma Clara's fired chicken with garlic mash and gravy with sauteed green beans. Chicken was extremely soft and tasty!

I also tasted this awesome dish: Carolina low country special spicy sauteed shrimp with bacon, mushrooms, and garlic over cheesy (mashed potato like) grits! YUM! Who would've thought?!

Bi-Rite Creamery. The most eclectic ice cream I've ever tried so far. Just look at the menu! Who would've known "Roasted Bananas" or "Brown Butter Pecan" or even "Salted Caramel" would be great fkn ice cream flavors?!! [ps. I didn't like the "Honey Lavender" because it tasted like flowers. =p]

More fam parties. More home cooked Filipino food. Catered food. Barbecues. Oysters.
Need I say more?
Went to Sacramento with some friends for some "FUN in the SUNday BBQ." Of course the guys supplied the drinks and the girls supplied the food. Breakfast: Longinisa, over easy eggs, and french toasts. For appetizers, we had the usual chips and dip. Thanks to Jenah, she bought fruits and made the most refreshing dip ever and it involves only 3 simple ingredients made into one glorious party in my mouth: vanilla yogurt, honey, and brown sugar! Mix it, try it, and thank me later.

For lunch, Nessa made her famous Sushi Bake and it tasted just like Nevitte's. I can never get tired of this! Jayce and I marinated short ribs in a Korean barbecue sauce over night. Cooked it on the grill and .... wahlaah! Kalbi! The Sushi Bake went really well with the Kalbi! And there is no such thing as too much nori/furikake!

Nick's Crispy Tacos. BEST fish tacos I've ever tasted. No Joke. I ordered the Pescado Taco (Baja style battered fried fish taco) and requested for it to be done Nick's Way. OMG. I don't like guacamole but it's so good on these tacos! it's tasty, crispy, and fulfilling only after eating two!

We were there during Happy Hour and scored ourselves... the cheesiet $3 nachos! I love cheese!
For dessert, I couldn't pass on the elote! They were very generous with the Mexican spices coating of cotija cheese over fresh warm corn on a cob. Spicy, salty, and sweet. Crackin'!

Hard Knox Cafe. Our meal stop prior to watching the Giants & Diamondbacks was a good choice. This sport like environment put us in the game face mood. The Authentic Soul Food is managed and ran by Asian folks from the South. Yes, you heard me right! Biscuits are amazing and I'm not a biscuit kind of person. And, they also come free with any meal! I was pretty disappointed that their off the menu special, Seafood Jambalaya, was not served that day and instead Seafood Pasta was. The waiter was kind enough to have me try the pasta version. They use the same sauce but it's just not the same. So instead, I ordered the original fried chicken with mash and corn! Crackin!! The portions were so big, I should have just shared it with someone. The bf got the bbq ribs. Meat falls right off. Sauce is sweet and salty.



Little Lucas. Now if only Hawaii and Vegas could jump ship and make a sandwich spot just as good as this. Chicken Parmesan. Crab. On dutch crunch bread that they bake themselves and each generously spread with their special made garlic sauce. Little Lucas has been a my traditional SF vacation "must eat" for the past 2 1/2 years and it never fails me. Not once.


House of Sisig. Again, should have just shared it 'cuz I was so stuffed and still have half of the plate to go. The meal also came with a side of Sinagang soup. Wonderful! Sisig was the bomb even if it's a little different from the sisig they serve in Vegas at Cafe Moda (which is crackin' too).

Namu for
Abi's "surprise" Birthday Dinner. We were all virgins to Namu and decided that the best way to experience it was ordering the set group menu. It was like 10-course meal being full with the first 3. And I swear to you each dish was was 5 outta 5 stars you wouldn't be able to resist eating the rest. It was absolutely amazing! My faves were the Shitake dumplings in a dashi mushroom broth. This dish just fucked me enough for the rest of the trip. Even the broth itself was fkn good that I literally drank it!

The next best thing was the Korean beef short ribs "tacos," on a bed of rice, nori topped with daikon and kim chee salsa, kim chee remoulade, avocado and kalbi demi galze. Sounds good huh?! It was sooooo good!!!!

Last, their Niman ranch kobe style skirt steak drizzled with a korean kalbi barbecue marinade with a side of warm white rice. MmmMMMmm.
As you can see, I left San Francisco satisfying my cravings, adding more favorites, a skinner wallet, and tighter jeans. I couldn't have it any other way. THANK YOU to the greatest friends and bf for giving me a great SF foodgasm once again! Also, thanks to always hungry SF Marys who introduced me to
7x7's The Big Eat SF: 100 Things to Try Before You Die; I've already tackled 5 of them, 95 more to go!!!
3 comments:
With me recovering from my cold...Damnit, all I can say is...you're makin' me DAMN hungry...
gaaaah i want that elote and filipino food!
You hit some of my favorite local spots in SF. I love Hard Knox, and Front Porch. Next Time your in SF check out Little Skillet. http://www.littleskilletsf.com/ TRUST
Post a Comment