Rock The Bells. I call this annual concert the "Woodstock of Hip Hop." Tens and Thousands of Hip Hip fans gather to witness multiple artists, groups, and djs in one big ass 12 hour concert. The lineup is always crazy! The fans are even crazier!
I've been to 2 Rock The Bells Concerts consecutively for the past 2 years. '09 was supposed to be my 3rd. At first, I wasn't really interested in going because I've already seen the main headliners (Nas, Damien Marley, The Roots, Common); some more than once. But when I read that Reflection Eternal, Slum Village, Sage Francis, and Mystic Journeymen would be a part of the lineup... I wanted to go soooo bad! Also, when I realized that Nas AND Damien Marley would be doing a collab... I had to go! I just had to! BUT, for some odd reason this year, RTB in LA and SF landed on the same fkn weekend. Usually, they would a week apart. I couldn't go on that particular weekend due to having people in town to visit, whom I don't get to see too often. So there went my chances of watching RTB this year! I was bummed. Seriously, I hated all my other fam and friends for being there. Makes me sick to know that I am hip hop's number one fan and I couldn't even go. I had dreams about it before and after that weekend about RTB. No joke.
Luckily, after RTB SF was done and over with, I heard that there would be a mini RTB right here in Vegas! I never decided to go only 'cause after the weekend, I was hella tired and been on a tight ass budget. Also, the lineup wasn't as much as the real RTB. BUT because Reflection Eternal, Slum Village, Pete Rock, Slaughterhouse, and Supernatural were gonna be performing, I didn't want to regret it. So 30 mintues before doors opened at House of Blues, I decided to go, (even if I were to go by myself). Yes, that's hardcore, right?! But it was sign, I couldn't miss it!
Event: Mini Rock The Bells 2009
Date: August 11, 2009
Location: House Of Blues, Las Vegas
Status: general admission
Location in Crowd: 2nd row from the stage
Companion: Jenah
Price: $31
The concert started off with Supernatural doing his usual thang... Freestylin'. To me, he's the King of MC Freestyle. His impersonations of artist are on point and his creativeness blows you away with his wide mind boggling dictionary. I also got to meet, shake his hand, and thank him afterwards. Slaughterhouse (Joe Budden, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz, and Royce the 5'9") performance followed. The first time I saw them at the Paid Dues Concert, I wasn't really feeling it, but this time, I actually really enjoyed it! They're tracks and performance were a little hard and strong for my taste but easy to like!! Not to mention I got to meet and kick it with them at the bar later and they are really nice folks!
And the reason was why I needed to be at this concert...drum roll please...Reflection Eternal!! My fave mc, Talib, and his partner, Hi-Tek, killed it!! There was a announcement a month back that they are to be reunited and a track was release, "Back Again." I am fkn happy period. For all you newbies who don't know who they are, please take a moment and know your history.
1 comments:
Reflection Eternal one of the best combinations in Hip Hop
Post a Comment