To me, music is a form of poetry. You can never have too much music nor poetry in your life! Poetry opens my mind and soul. It stimulates my thoughts and expresses my feelings. Recently, I reread one of my favorite poetry books... "The Rose That Grew From Concrete" by Tupac Shakur. Just this 6-word title is a poem in itself. It's so deep and powerful in so many ways I cannot begin to explain. And as you unravel the words he wishes you to hear, you will find it amazing that this hard core thug had a warm soft heart.
The book is a collection of personal poems from 1989-1991, starting when he was just 18 years old. Afeni Shakur (Tupac's mother) expressed that her son's poems,
"...represent the process of a young artist's journey to understand and accept a world of unthinkable contradictions..."

Get the book. You'll love it. This book is a very intimate and personal collection as each printed poem in the book is beside its actual handwritten copy by 2Pac himself. It's all real people! And if you're a fan of 2pac, you'll have goosebumps just like I did. Here's one of my favorite poems of his I want to share:
Untitled
Please wake me when I'm free
I cannot bear captivity
where my culture I'm told holds no significance
I'd wither and die from ignorance
But my inner eye can c a race
Who reigned as kings in another place
the green of trees were rich and full
and every man spoke of beautiful
man and women together as equals
War was gone because all was peaceful
But now like a nightmare I wake 2 c
That I live like a prisoner of poverty
Please wake me when I'm free
I cannot bear captivity
4 I would rather be stricken blind
than 2 live without expression of mind
Simply beautiful.
2 comments:
as thug as 2pac was his poetry is awe inspiring
I agree with Jayce. :)
loved the movie he acted in with Janet Jackson. :)
Post a Comment