with electric love

....gailsfknawesome

Jun 11, 2009

Better Than Radio

As I browsed for used CDs in a hole-in-the-wall joint in L.A. hoping to find rare albums, a close friend of mine reminded me of how I was fond of music ever since she could remember. Too young to afford, I used to beg my mom to buy me blank cassette tapes. I always had a blank cassette ready in my radio just in case there was something I needed to record. My friend recalled how when we were little, I used to make her copies of cassette mixes and encouraged her to listen to them. While most neighborhood kids stood up late on weeknights to watch shows usually forbidden by parents, I waited on late night radio mixes or songs.

I completely forgot about all those days but it completely made sense. To this very day, I still love sharing music. I still buy blanks just to make copies of new music findings or music albums or mixes for my friends. As far away as I am from my homies, I still make cds for them and I don't mind spending the extra postage for it. I enjoy it.

MUSIC is my PASSION.

I love listening to beats, rhymes, lyrics, live instruments, the transitions in mixes, scratches, the flow of songs, etc!!! I was never able to listen to music while I study nor sleep. I don't know how people do it!? I'm too busy analyzing the song/track, singing it in my head, imaging how the video would be, or even relating the song to events or people! Prior to college, I thought living at the dorms with my roommate would be difficult, because she on the other hand, could not sleep without music, literally! Luckily, we survived as we both compromised. She would only listen to music that was in her native language. So, I listened to Laotian and Thai music every night for a year!! And to be honest, I loved it. I love music and almost every genre of it!

Collecting music, specifically cds is my ADDICTION.

I'd rather buy cds than clothes. I'd eat cereal for days just to save for a new album. No questions asked. With mp3s, new technology, and itunes, some people wonder, "who buys cds anymore?! aren't they obsolete?!"... well I FKN DO!! I love having the actual raw cd album in my hands. I love opening the cd as soon as I walk outta the store anticipating its contents. I love looking at the album art. I love reading the insides of the booklet, knowing who produced the album, where it was produced, their thoughts, their thank yous, and their lyrics. I love it all. Sometimes I find it lucky to have an album in which the artist(s) describes their inspirations and motivations for each track. It's like I'm in their head and I get to feel what they feel. It's a complete natural high for me!

Prior to meeting with the BF, I told myself, I want to be with someone who loves music and the same kind of music as I do!! Before we even met and before he came to Hawaii for vacation, my two cousins told me, "I think you'll get a long with Jason because you both like the same type of music, you both know a lot about it, and you are both alike - outgoing!" And we did! When we were just friends, we even made each other copies of cds of our favorites. It wasn't long until we were officially together. I am so lucky and so happy he loves the same kind of music (except country; he doesn't like country)! I am so relieved I don't have to adjust my car music for him or I don't need to tolerate his music. I call him my music-soul mate!!! We love to talk about music. We love to teach each other about music. We love going to concerts together to enjoy music.

He can make one beat of my HEART and scratch it into a melody. He's that AWESOME!

For awhile now, the both of us have been talking about how the radio doesn't play most of the music we enjoy listening to. Or how we love the "Cerritos All Star Live Mix Show" on the internet. Or how oldies are only found on oldie stations. Or how there is so many songs/tracks/mixes out there that people should hear. Or how there are so many artists, djs, producers, or mc's that should be recognized. Then it dawned on us. We should make a radio station!!

We should make OUR very own RADIO STATION!!

Although both of us are very busy people, we will make this hobby happen! We have more than enough motivation and patience! I am still trying make dj name. And we are looking into more options for the name of the station, besides "Better Than Radio." We were planning to start off on the internet at least once a week for a few hours. A few hours of what WE want to listen to and share. How awesome would that be?! With our passion and knowledge, we would have so much fun doing it! It's our mission people!!

SO STAY TUNED!

But for now, you can listen to our playlists on:
My Imeem Playlist
My Project Playlist
Jayce's Imeem Playlist
Jayce's Project Playlist

2 comments:

ThroatChopU said...

WOOOOOOW! Definitely agree with this! The radio definitely doesn't play the things I enjoy and so I find myself seeking out music in different places. Part of the reason me and my partner started our blog (appreciate the comment and the follow). Let's link up because we've been discussing starting an internet radio type station. Four brains may be better than one (or two)! Peace, q

gailey said...

Hey Q! THANKS! I agree... four brains are waaay better and two! LET'S DO THIS!

Post a Comment