with electric love

....gailsfknawesome

3 months after my SD trip with the BF, the "John Doe" mix by San Diego's female resident DJ Dopeshoes continues to be in my music routine. This mix is officially one of my favorites. In a time when we're anxiously waiting on DJ Neil's Armstrong's, DJ Eleven's, or Vinroc's next move, it's rare for us to find another descent respectable deejay nowadays, especially for my taste of music at least. And get this, she's a girl... so much love goes out to her! Its song list showcases nothing but the best, the beats are euphoric, and her transitions flows cleaner than a waterfall made out of filtered spring water.

1. Intro (St. Germain)
2. Opoetik - No Refrain
3. Nightmares On Wax - Survival
4. Presto - Plain Jain
5. ATU - Ooh I'm A Getcha
6. Erykah Badu Vs. DJ Frane
7. DJ Cam Vs. Cella Dwellas Vs. Cru
8. Kissey Asplund - Kissey's Delight
9. The Nextmen - 31st Of February
10. Royce Da 5'9 - What I Know (A Dopeshoes Blend)
11. Common - 8 Minutes To Sunrise (feat. Jill Scott)
12. Farid - Sunday Paper
13. Q-Tip - We Love/We Fight (feat. Raphael Saadiq)
14. Sly & The Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay
15. The Pharcyde Vs. Damien Marley
16. Vast Aire - The Workover
17. The Notorious B.I.G. - Machine Gun Funk
18. Blacklove Radiators - Is It?
19. Mary J. Blige - Be Happy
20. Hieroglyphics - Oakland Blackouts
21. Nas Vs. Blockhead (Clean Version)
22. Masta Ace Vs. Freddie Joachim
23. Digable Planets - Jimmy Diggin Cats
24. Yellowman Vs. Audio Two
25. Black Moon: Two Turntables & A Mic
26. Jurassic 5 - Ghetto Diplomat
27. Gang Starr - I'm The Man (feat. Lil Dap (Group Home)/Jeru the Damaja)

This mix is locally underground, you can't find the mix conveniently online and unfortunately not even a free sample or leak. But, as a strong supporter of good music, I encourage everyone to get your hands on this mix. Dopeshoes is worth your money and not worth sleeping on.

She works for and is affiliated with Access Hip Hop in San Diego, the only music store in the area catered to independent and underground hip hop. This boutique like store is probably no bigger than your average living room but more people have most likely ventured this space than your neighborhood supermarket. The employees there are the greatest. I was almost fooled we were in Hawaii because these guys got the aloha spirit. The sky blue walls are barely seen by all the posters signed by various artists and groups that has either dropped by and showed some love or performed a live set. Such artists include Heiroglyphics, The Living Legends, Aesop Rock, El-P, Visionaries, Brother Ali, Zion I, Dwele, Busy Bee, Abstract Rude, Aceyalone, and many many more!!!



Of course, there is a set of turntables and a laptop playing the sickest music while you browse and shop for cds, vinyls, tapes, dvds, posters, shirts, books, and/or posters. I only wish Vegas has a shop just like this one. Check out their website Access Hip Hop to view new and upcoming releases or make some purchases! I have yet to order DJ Dopeshoes' first mix... "I Know You Got Sole." Look out for the future review on this mix!

2 comments:

JayceOne said...

"flows cleaner than a waterfall made out of filtered spring water" --well said

jayceone/brownie

dopeshoes said...

wow, that's quite a review! you've made my day my dear :) thanks so much for your support!
if you're interested, i just put up a free download of a promo mix i did recently on my blog: instantfunk.blogspot.com.
much respect and many thanks!

Post a Comment