with electric love

....gailsfknawesome

Apr 1, 2010

40days & 40nights

Lent is over. Easter is here. For the past 40 days and 40 nights, I have kept quiet about what I gave up for Lent. I thought it would be more of challenge to keep it a secret to myself as I was taught to do so anyways. It was a true test.

I gave up alcohol.

Yessir, you heard right and I didn't stutter. Alcohol was by best friend until the night of Fat Tuesday at the Slate Party for M.A.G.I.C. Let it be known I was super floored that night and only remembering bits and pieces. Kris and Abi, the visitors, were the ones taking care of me, the resident, that night! I spent the next day glued to their hotel room bed trying to hold down the crackers and gaterade. I felt miserable. My body and the toilet hated me. From that day forth, I decided to give that up for lent.... and not tell anyone.

I never got to taste the sangria my roomie made for Kazu's Bday party. I never tried the various flavored beers my cousin would bring home from a long days of work. I never toasted a shot for my roomie's 31st Bday. I never drank the free alcohol we got at the VIP table for the Vegas Light Group party. I never drank wine with my romantic French dinner with the BF for our 3 year anniversary. I never not once, drank during spring break in the city of sin.

Let me tell you it was not easy... especially when no one knew about it. The challenge was not only abstaining from it but also having the strength to turn it down on a weekly, sometimes daily basis.

I learned a lot giving up alcohol during lent. I learned that I didn't need alcohol to have fun or to let loose. I learned that I do loose a bit of weight when alcohol is not a part of my food groups. I learned the art of focus, determination, and perseverance. I learned that if I put my mind to it, I can definitely make it happen. I learned about myself and how much I am really capable accomplishing my goals. I felt refreshed and proud.

With that said, let's go out and celebrate ... Cheeeeers!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment