with electric love

....gailsfknawesome

Oct 13, 2009

Surfing. check.

For some people, Hawaii may seem so foreign to them. And just because we have an ocean in between the islands and the mainland, some people still think only indigenous people live out there. Whenever I tell someone I'm from Hawaii, I'm always ready for the same questions asked by so many. Here are the top 3 and their answers:

1. Oh , so you're Hawaiian! Can you speak it? -- I'm not Hawaiian. Hawaiian is its own race so I can't claim I'm Hawaiian or else I'm gonna have Hawaiian Sovereignty organizations come knocking on my door. I'm 2nd generation 100% Filipino, born and raised in Hawaii. I know a few Hawaiian words and phrases. If Pidgin counts, I'm fluent.

2. Do you live in grass huts? -- No, unless you live on the indigenous island of Ni'ihau. But on O'ahu and the rest of islands, we have houses, apartments, hotels, and buildings. I live in a house that used to be a plantation style house until we jacked it up in the early '90s. Many houses are still the plantation style houses.

3. Do you surf? -- I can finally say YES.

Up until my most recent trip to Hawaii, I never surfed. I tired and I failed. It's hard and I ain't gonna lie. Standing was the hardest part for me so I bodyboard. I'm not that great at it either but I can do it and I love it. This time, the BF and I took surfing lessons on Waikiki. I learned the proper technique of standing. After the 3rd attempt, I finally got on the board and stayed there. Riding a wave was absolutely INCREDIBLE!! It's one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced! I rode about 5 more waves in one hour. I was beat. Paddling out was the hardest. I understand why most surfers have hot bods. It's a freakin workout but all soooo worth it.

Mission accomplised! I can finally check that off my Bucket List. Can't wait 'til the next surfing session. Next time, I'm wearing a rash gaurd cuz tummy hurt like hell for days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment